Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Reapers Are The Angels


The Reapers Are The Angels
by Alden Bell

     For twenty-five years, civilization has survived in meager enclaves, guarded against a plague of the dead.  Temple wanders this blighted landscape, keeping to herself and keeping her demons inside her heart.  She can't remember a time before the zombies, but she does remember an old man who took her in and the younger brother she cared for until the tragedy that set her on a personal journey toward redemption.  Moving back and forth between the insulated remnants of society and the brutal frontier beyond, Temple must decide where ultimately to make a home and find the salvation she seeks. - Back o' the Book
     If you're not really into zombies, don't worry, it's not super focused on them and if you are really into zombies, it has enough action to keep you interested. It's been described as a "Southern Gothic". I must say, I almost returned this to the library due to her slight southern accent (yes, that sometimes annoys me) but I stuck with it and I loved it! Temple is an interesting character, she has the body of a 16 year old but a mind that is mature beyond her years. She never knew a world before the dead walked the earth so she grows up focused on survival and going with the flow of life. She has very interesting perspectives on nature, God, and even the zombies that plague the earth.
     It has a little bit of mature content so I wouldn't suggest it to young folks, but this book is on my list of favorites. I wont ruin the ending, but I'll just say I loved it! This comes highly recommended.

-Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment