Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Divergent


Divergent 
by Veronica Roth
In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. - Back o' the Book

     To begin, I'd like to say this makes it onto my Top Favorites list! This booked sucked me in from page one and I had a very hard time putting it down. I spent a couple nights into the wee hours of the morning pouring through this but it was well worth the baggy eyes.
     The main character, Beatrice, starts out as this seemingly young, lost, indecisive character with tons of room to grow. I had a hard time creating what she looked like in my brain but then again, there was a whole lot more to be engrossed by. Beatrice makes a choice that changes her whole life and puts her through difficulties she could only imagine.
     My most favorite aspect about this book is the fact that the character makes a complete change. The girl she was in the beginning grows and blossoms in such a unique way. I'm usually pretty good about guessing the outcome of a character before the end of the book, but Beatrice took off in an unsuspected was and does not stop growing and surprising you till the very last page.
    This book is great for both girls and guys and the age group can be from young adult on up. I would categorize it as an "Action Adventure" type story with plenty of violence, humor, rising tension and just a tad bit of romance. Definitely, I recommend this to anyone looking for a great read!

-Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment