Thursday, May 31, 2012

Feed

Feed
by M. T. Anderson


In a future world where internet connections feed directly into the consumer’s brain, thought is supplemented by advertising banners, and language has gone into a steep decline, a little love story unfolds. Titus, an average kid on a weekend trip to the moon, meets Violet, a brainy girl who has decided to try to fight the feed. Assaulted by a hacker who interrupts their connection, they struggle to understand what has happened to them – and to everyone around them. -Back o' the Book

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love this book. I've read it more times than I can remember and just thinking about it makes me want to read it again. It takes some time to get used to the jargon used in the futuristic setting but after a while it starts to make sense.

This book is all about consumerism and the degradation of language and writing (most kids growing up don't know how to write with their hands, thanks to their feed they are connected to). I found this book to be a warning sign for the direction we as a nation and as a species are heading to. Very powerful stuff if you stop to think about it and not just read the words. I've forced my sister to read this and now she is in love with it too and rereads it occasionally.

The one downside to it is the amount of foul language ridden throughout the book, although it's just another example of the degradation of society that takes place.

-Highly Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment