Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Eve


Eve
by Anna Carey

     Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.
     Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life. - Back o' the Book

     You may have noticed a trend in my book reviews: post apocalyptic and dystopian societies. I'm not sure why I'm attracted to these but I just can't get enough. Eve is the first book in what I am assuming is a trilogy and the ending of the first book definitely leads one to think so. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed. The synopsis of the book led me to think it would head in a different direction and I wasn't very attached to any of the characters. I'm not sure if this will be the case where they mature and grow in the following books but at the moment, I was emotionally un-invested in any of the characters and had little or no sympathy for them. It's a quick, easy read and definitely has an interesting premise, I just wasn't thrilled with the execution.

-Recommended (for younger teens)

No comments:

Post a Comment